ASHRAE President's Luncheon

ASHRAE President's Luncheon

March 30, 2017 | 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM

IUPUI University Ballroom - University Tower

Read More

About Us

ASHRAE CENTRAL INDIANA CHAPTER HISTORY

In the early 1940's, during World War II, a group remaining in Indianapolis to
look after the Heating and Ventilating Industry, met occasionally under the name
of "Indianapolis Air Conditioning Council". Included in this group were
consulting engineers, manufacturers' representatives, several contractors, and
others. A Professor from Purdue University, W.T. (Bill) Miller encouraged this
group to apply for membership in the American Society of Heating and Ventilating
Engineers (ASHVE). The organization was chartered on November 1, 1943 as the
Indiana Chapter of ASHVE with 85 Charter Members. Mr. S.E. Fenstermaker, Sr.,
was elected the first President of the Chapter. Official By-Laws and Rules for
the Chapter were adopted in 1949.

Following the war, this group continued to meet regularly and in 1955, the
national group, bowing to the burgeoning air conditioning industry, changed its'
name to "American Society of Heating and Air Conditioning Engineers", (ASHAE).
The local Chapter then became the Indiana Chapter of ASHAE.

Another professional society, The American Society of Refrigerating Engineers
was growing, also. This organization was interested primarily in the food
processing, ice manufacturing and mechanical cooling of large air conditioning
systems. A chapter was chartered in 1951 in Indianapolis with 25 members. The
first Chapter President was W. E. (Bill) Spurgeon.

In the early 1950's, a national committee found that 60% of the activities of
both societies, ASHAE and ASHVE, were centered on air conditioning and a
duplication in membership was noted, also. The proposed merger of ASHAE and
ASHVE took place in 1958, and the American Society of Heating, Air Conditioning
and Refrigerating Engineers (ASHRAE) was completed. Locally, the two chapters
began meeting jointly in the spring of 1959. To avoid cross-purposes of the
national society's merger, the new slate of officers included Co-Presidents,
John Thornburg and Joseph Teskoski. Later that year, Mr. Teskoski moved from the
area and William Freije, Jr. replaced him. With this transition, The Central
Indiana Chapter of ASHRAE (CIC) was born. By-Laws and Rules for the Central
Indiana Chapter ASHRAE were adopted and distributed to members in 1959.

The "Hoosier Pacesetter" was the original Chapter Newsletter, and was the
primary source of information about Society and chapter events, beginning in the
early 1950's. A transition to "Chapter Newsletter" began in the early 1970's and
that "Newsletter" is mailed to every Chapter Member, plus various Society and
Region V personnel, each month a meeting is scheduled. Both publications have
provided invaluable information toward this history update of the Central
Indiana Chapter of ASHRAE.

Beginning with the amalgamation of the two chapters, ASHAE and ASHVE, membership
has risen from about 112 to over 330 members currently. Attendance has varied
from as few members as 8 around one table at the Murat Shrine Club, to nearly
200 at the Old Essex Hotel, both in downtown Indianapolis. The largest attended
meetings in recent years have been joint meetings with the local Chapter of
SMACNA. Up until 1996, the third time around for meetings to be held at the
Murat Shrine club, it was necessary for the CIC to find a new location for the
scheduled meetings.

Social events have always been good drawing cards for the CIC programs and have
helped in the overall growth of the membership. Programs have been varied and
interesting, chosen carefully to balance the current trends in the industry, as
well as retaining the fundamentals, along with trying to be helpful for all CIC
members--a large diversity of persons and interests, as well as age
differentials. The introduction of the "Tech Sessions", to provide further
education for apprentice employees from various members' firms, also
enlightening the general membership, began in the 1970's and continues as an
emphasis at meetings today. CIC has conducted mini-trade shows, co-sponsored the
"Indiana Expo Trade Show" in Indianapolis in recent years, including 1997, and
has held instructional seminars, with Refrigeration topics being very popular.

Programs for CIC meetings have included field trips to review installations of
HVAC systems of many types. Meetings with the first Student Chapter, sponsored
by CIC, at Purdue University have generated mutual benefits. With a multitude of
HVAC research projects being conducted at Purdue's Herrick Laboratory, the
Chapter Members get a bird's eye view of many activities in the HVAC&R fields.

Speakers from all over the country have given programs, Society and Regional
Officers have been invited and given talks at meetings, and local Civic Leaders
have presented a variety of viewpoints that affect our industry locally. At
various meetings CIC has held tabletop displays of equipment used in the HVAC&R
Industry, generating good attendance at those meetings.

As noted above, the first Student Chapter sponsored by CIC was the Purdue
University Chapter, and it received its charter in 1950. The second Student
Chapter sponsored by CIC is at the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology and it
was chartered in 1988. Although this school, in Terre Haute, Indiana, is outside
the geographical boundaries of the CIC Chapter's operation, a mutual agreement
was reached between Rose-Hulman, the Evansville Chapter of ASHRAE, Society's
Officers, and CIC, to have the new Chapter assigned to CIC. Ivy Tech State
University of Indianapolis was chartered as the 3rd Student Chapter by CIC in
1995.

In 1986, the first woman President of the Central Indiana Chapter was elected,
and Anne Gray directed the Chapter's activities to receive the Presidential
Award of Excellence (PAOE) from Society. That triggered a succession of 6
straight years for CIC to receive that award, for the first time in the
Chapter's history. Anne became a Region V Chairperson for Research Promotion in
1991, the first member to hold that position from this Chapter.

CIC hosted the Region V Chapter's Regional Conference in 1983, and is scheduled
to be the host for the August, 1998, Regional Conference. Co-chairmen for the
conference were Steve Rosenberg and Clay Runshe. Central Indiana hosted the
ASHRAE annual meeting in 1991 at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis.
More than 2,000 members and guests from around the world attended that meeting.

One of the most unusual venues for that meeting was the location of the
Welcoming Party. The party was held in the Children's Museum, in Indianapolis,
the largest facility of that type in the world. While early concerns came from
Society coordinators about that Welcome Party location, genuine accolades came
from the same group after the meeting for the innovation. The CIC Organizing
Committee for that Annual Meeting was headed by John Wolfert, a Past President.

In the past 10 years, CIC has earned may Region V awards including recognition
for the excellent support of ASHRAE's Research Promotion fund drives and leading
Region V's chapters in per capita donations in 1995.

In 1959, the Central Indiana Chapter established a scholarship fund for
deserving students in the Air Conditioning curriculum at Purdue University.
Professor Fred Morse was the initial advisor for this group. The fund was to be
administered by the Purdue Foundation, and did so for several years. Lack of
applicants for the scholarship resulted in the Board of Governors of CIC to take
over the fund. A fund raising drive brought in over $2,000. In addition, $2.50
per member was added to the local dues, and with the amount raised during the
fund drive, the goal was reached for a self-sustaining scholarship fund. The
original scholarship was for $500 and was awarded to an architecture student
from Ball State University. Since that time, the awards have been made to
students from the Purdue Chapter and Rose-Hulman Chapter. The Board of Directors
changed the scholarship awards criteria to include only students who were
members of Student Chapters of ASHRAE. The scholarship is named after an ASHRAE
Fellow, Graeme B. Supple, a 50 year member of ASHRAE and a former President of
the Indiana Chapter of ASHVE.

CIC members have been supportive of Region V and Society's Committees,
educational activities, programs, etc. More recent participation of CIC members
in these activities are listed under copies of the Manual for Chapter
Operations, Appendix H - 1996 issue, and as listed under Society Service and
Region V Committees, see Appendix for listing.

For several years CIC members have served on various Technical Committees and
those persons are listed in Appendix H section from 1993 to 1997. Also serving
Society in other capacities noted are:

Raymond Cohen - International Research Journal Editor
Victor Goldschmidt - Publishing Council
David Tree - Accreditation Activities
Central Indiana Chapter members serving on Region V Committees since 1990 are:
Anne Gray - Research Promotion
Rich Nowak - Education
Charles Seaver - Education
John Wolfert - Research Promotion
George Plattenburg - Chapter Programs

A complete listing of all Fellows and Life Members (see the Awards section of
our website for this listing - Ed), and all Past Presidents of the Chapter are
listed in the Appendix, also. While the number of people serving the Chapter,
Region, and Society is commendable, the total contribution of all of them is
what has helped ASHRAE become the premier leader in the technology involved in
the Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration field.

History Complied by:
Charles D. Seaver - November 1997
Historian - Central Indiana Chapter ASHRAE (1990 - 1998)

1991 was a very special year for the Central Indiana Chapter. The ASHRAE Annual
Meeting was held in Indianapolis and hosted by the Central Indiana Chapter. This
is a well known International Conference, typically attended by 2000 to 2500
HVAC & R industry leaders. Many of the attendees are also accompanied by
spouses.

The annual Conference officially began on Saturday June 22, 1991, and concluded
Wednesday, June 26, 1991. The technical program consisted of a total of 80
technical sessions, symposiums, seminars and forums. Approximately 160
technical, standard & guideline committees (not including sub-committee
meetings) were held. Approximately 100 Society Committee meetings (not including
sub-committee meetings) were hosted.

A complete spouse program was provided in addition to the Technical & Society
functions. Local highlights were tours, such as the Indianapolis Motor Speedway,
Connor Prairie, Benjamin Harrison Home and the Eli Lilly Central plant.
A very special event was the Saturday evening Welcome Party, hosted at the
Children's Museum. The Indianapolis Children's Museum is the largest of its type
in the U.S. and includes a planetarium. All reports indicated this was the
highlight of the conference. The "Children's" Museum is not just for children.
Adults typically find it just as educational and entertaining as children.
Dozens of local chapter members donated their time and efforts in hosting this
conference. Specific committees were chaired by:
CIC Liaison - Don Fulk
Entertainment - Lyle Sundquist
Hospitality - Dick Yoho
Public Relations - Phil Pegram
Sessions - Chuck Seaver
Transportation / Technical Tours - Don O'Keefe
Vice Chairperson - Anne Gray
General Chairman - John Wolfert
Historical Committee
ASHHST01

 

The Purdue Nanotechnology Center

The Nanotechnology Center is an 187,000 square foot research facility consisting
of 25,000 square foot nanofabrication clean room with research space, a
biocleanroom, heavy laboratory space and office areas. One of the most advanced
facilities of its kind in the world, it is designed to support multidisciplinary
research in nanotechnology and to foster interaction between researchers and
research disciplines. The building was completed in 2005.

The Nanotechnology Center consolidates Purdue's initiatives in nanoscale
science, engineering, and technology and encourages cross-boundary
collaboration. The Center has enabled Purdue to become a national leader in
nanotechnology research.

Aeronautical, agricultural, biomedical, chemical, electrical, industrial,
materials, and mechanical engineers work alongside biologists, chemists,
computer scientists, physicists, and researchers in agriculture, pharmacy, and
veterinary medicine to devise structures and processes that exploit the unique
features of the nanoscale. Particular areas of emphasis include
nanoelectronics, MEMS and NEMS, bionanotechnology, and nanophotonics.

The Birck Nanotechnology Center includes the Scifres Nanofabrication Laboratory,
the William B. and Mary Jane Elmore Advanced Concept Validation Center, the
Kevin G. Hall Nanometrology Laboratory, and many others. The facility is
comprised of six types of laboratory space:

Cleanrooms: particle-free environments for constructing micro- and
nano-scale devices.

Chemistry and Biology Labs: facilitate the handling, preparing, and processing
of experimental materials and apparatus for nanoscale chemistry and biology
research.

Epitaxy Labs: crystals are grown one atomic layer at a time, enabling precise
layer-by-layer construction of new materials and devices.

Metrology Labs: investigators perform physical measurements on nanoscale
materials and devices at dimensions as small as a faction of an atom's diameter.

Instructional Labs: undergraduate and graduate students receive
state-of-the-art nanotechnology training.

Nanotechnology Incubator Lab: provides a site to support and conduct technology
transfer and entrepreneurship.

Atomic Force Microscopy:

An atomic force microscope (AFM) provides scientists a platform with
which to observe specimens at incredible resolutions. Specimens may include
atoms, molecules, proteins, bacteria, whole cells, or tissues that may be sealed
in a vacuum, exposed to open air, or subject to wet conditions. One may say
that "AFM is to optical microscopy as Braille is to sight" because an AFM allows
the researcher to touch or feel the surface in addition to viewing it. Forces
are applied so that reactions may be registered. Forces in the range of
piconewtons and displacements in the range of picometers can be measured.
("Pico" = 10-12 or a thousand times smaller than "nano").

Nanometrology Lab:

Research conducted in the nanometrology lab include ultra-sensitive
Scanning Probe Microscopy (SPM) and scanning probe lithography, capable of
imaging individual atoms. An omicron Ultra-High Vacuum (UHV) Scanning Tunneling
Microscope (STM) is housed in the Kevin G. Hall Nanometrology Lab.

This lab was constructed specifically to control room temperature (?
0.1?C), vibration (NIST-A1), acoustic noise (NC-30)), and EMI (electromagnetic
interference). To ensure these controls, the lab is on a separate cement slab
that is supported by a 6-post hairspring damping system.

Carbon Nanotube Lab: (aka: Nanoscale Thermo-Fluids Lab)

Different types of carbon nanotubes are grown by flowing gases into a
chamber and then focusing a microwave beam into the gases to break the molecules
into atoms. When the atoms land on the surface of a nanometer-sized metal
catalyst particle, a nanotube is formed.

Nanotubes are used to make electron beams. Nanotubes are very good
at shooting out electrons because their length is much larger than their
diameter (like a long antenna). Electron beams can be used for making flat TVs,
for example.

A "thermal Velcro" is produced by growing a "carpet" made of
nanotubes. Used in this way, when we touch two solid objects together, heat can
flow from one to the other very easily. This attribute is important for cooling
hot objects, like computer chips.

Nanofabrication Laboratory:

The nanofabrication laboratory is the first facility to operationally integrate
a semiconductor fabrication cleanroom and a biocleanroom under the same roof.
This 25,000 square-foot area of the Center has an isolated airflow system with
separate entry and gowning areas.

The cleanroom space is divided into 13 bays and 15 chases. Researchers work in
the bay areas while the equipment is often mounted in the chase areas. The
laboratory is a three-story operation: the top floor houses the air handling
systems, the middle floor houses the bays and chases, while the lower floor (the
subfab) contains support equipment and bulk and inert gases.
Activities taking place in the nanofabrication lab include:

* Definition of micro- and nano-scale patterns by exposure to photoresist or electron-beam resist (e-beam lithography)
* Inspection and characterization of nanoscale films and patterns.
* Metal evaporation
* Interference lithography
* Thermal processing for oxidizing silicon and SiC, diffusing dopant impurities and annealing
* Plasma and reactive ion etching of semiconductors and insulating films
* Deposition of metal and insulating films by Atomic Layer Deposition
* Tool cleaning (quartzware; in-process materials)
* Instruction in semiconductor fabrication and MEMS techniques.


Special air handling systems control airborne particles to Class1/10/100, or in
other terms, air in the cleanest bay has less than 1 particle greater than 500
nanometers in diameter per cubic foot of air. (It would take 150 such particles
to span the diameter of a strand of hair!) Air is forced through ULPA filters
in the ceilings of the bays downward through the perforated floors, returned
through the chases, and reprocessed through the top-floor handler system. About
90% of the air is recycled; every 7-10 seconds the entire volume of cleanroom
air is flushed out.

The general cooling and heating medium is provided by the campus
central plant. However a glycol chiller is installed in the facility to handle
the special requirements of the clean room air handling systems. A special
water purification system is included for the unique requirements of the
facility and for humidification.

The Central Indiana Chapter (CIC) of ASHRAE toured this facility on
Tuesday, April 10, 2007. It is anticipated that future reviews of this facility
and its successes will be noted and compared to initial intentions and system
performance. Operation of the mechanical systems should be monitored and
compared to the original design intent.

John Wolfert - CIC Historian
JW/PW

RPRTASH0407